top of page

Divorce Lawyer in Bartlesville, OK

The Persaud Law Office has practiced divorce law in Washington County, Oklahoma, for ten years. We are focused on serving clients in Bartlesville and the surrounding areas. If you need assistance in your divorce, give us a call.

Our Divorce Law Services

  • Child support. If there are children of the marriage, the court will require one parent to pay child support to the other parent. You may need a family attorney to advise you on child support if

    • You are getting divorced;

    • Circumstances have changed, and you want to change the amount of child support being paid; or

    • An order required your spouse to pay child support, but your spouse is not paying.

    • For further information on how child support works in Oklahoma, click here.

  • ​Property and debt division. The court must decide which property belongs to which spouse. Also, if one or both spouses have incurred debt during the marriage, the court must also rule on which spouse must pay which debt. Some of the most complicated divorce cases on the books have revolved around property and debt division. If you are confused about property and debt, you definitely need to contact a divorce lawyer.

  • Alimony. Sometime the court will require one spouse to pay alimony to the other spouse. 

  • Mediation. Often in a divorce case, a court will order the spouses to meet with a mediator, who will try to guide them to make an agreement so that they will not have to go to trial. Because lawyers usually accompany their clients to mediation, a divorce attorney is an integral part of the mediation process. For more information on mediation, click here.

  • Domestic violence. Oklahoma law has provided legal steps specifically designed for battered spouses to become free of abuse. Because the laws are complex, domestic violence is a circumstance where hiring a good family attorney is very important.

Overview of Divorce Law in Oklahoma

Oklahoma law requires that, when a court grants a divorce, the court must determine how property is divided, what rights each spouse has regarding the children, who must pay child support, and how much child support is to be paid. Even if both spouses agree on all of these details, there are certain legal requirements that govern how a divorce decree is to be entered. Divorce Law is the area of law that deals with these requirements.

What Makes Us Different?

  1. Persaud Law Office has practiced divorce law in Washington County for ten years, and so is familiar with the Washington County family court. Every county has certain rules and customs regarding divorce. Some of these customs are unwritten, but judges expect lawyers and their clients to follow them. It’s best that you find a divorce lawyer who is familiar with your county, and will know your county’s rules and customs.

  2. Persaud Law Office will make your case a priority. Some divorce attorneys will consider your case just a “drop in the bucket” and will not devote any significant time or energy to your case. If your divorce attorney doesn’t devote the time and energy necessary for your case, you and your children may suffer, and you may lose property that you could have kept. The Persaud Law Office will take all the time and effort necessary to protect you and your legal rights.

What We do After You Contact Us

After you contact us, we will schedule a consultation with you. At the consultation, we will enter into a written fee agreement, and determine what is the best course of action for you to take. 

The first step will vary depending on the exact nature of your case, but several common first steps are:


  • If you are the spouse seeking a divorce, the first step will be for us to file a petition in court.

  • If your spouse has already filed for divorce, our first step will be to file a response to the petition in court.

  • If you are already divorced, and you want to change provisions regarding custody, visitation, or child support, our first step will be to file a motion to modify, in court.

  • If you are already divorced, and your spouse has filed a motion to modify custody, visitation, and child support, our first step will be to file a response to the motion to modify, in court.

We are ready to help you. If you would like to contact the Persaud Law Office for assistance regarding divorce law, you may call us at (918) 336-1124 or by filling out the contact form here.

bottom of page