Much of Oklahoma law regarding motor vehicles is governed by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (which issues driver’s licenses) and the Oklahoma Tax Commission (which registers automobile titles.) If you have received a notice from the Department of Public Safety saying that your driver’s license is to be revoked, the Persaud Law Office may be able to help you keep your license. Also, if you have issues regarding automobile titles and ownership, the Persaud Law Office can assist you with those as well. If you have been injured in a car wreck, the Persaud Law Office can help you recover damages. In many auto accident cases, if you retain a competent attorney, you may be able to recover damages without ever going to court.

A particularly important area of motor vehicle law deals with Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDLs). A commercial driver's license is necessary to drive certain types of vehicles; click here to see what vehicles require a CDL. The standards for suspending a CDL are far stricter than the standards for suspending an ordinary driver's license -- and remember, if the State suspends your CDL, you won't be able to work, if your job requires you to drive a commercial motor vehicle. For more information on how the Persaud Law Office can help you if you have CDL issues, click here.

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m living in Oklahoma temporarily. Do I need an Oklahoma driver’s license?

No. If you are a “nonresident” of Oklahoma, and are over 16, and have a driver’s license in another state, you do not need an Oklahoma driver’s license. To be a “resident” of a state, you must 1) have your true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment in the state, and 2) intend to remain in the state for an indefinite period of time. So, if you are living in Oklahoma temporarily (for example, for college, military service, or a temporary work assignment) you are not a “resident” of Oklahoma, because you do not intend to remain in Oklahoma. Since you are not a resident of Oklahoma, you do not need an Oklahoma driver’s license. For further information on this topic, click on my post, " Can a Non-Citizen Get a Driver's License in Oklahoma?"

If an emergency vehicle has its lights and siren on, and the emergency vehicle hits me, can I sue?

Possibly. Even if an emergency vehicle has its lights on, the driver still has to have due regard for the safety of all persons. The Oklahoma Supreme Court has held that if the driver of an emergency vehicle drives with “reckless disregard for the safety of others,” the driver may be sued.

Articles on Motor Vehicles Law from the Bartlesville Law Blog