top of page
  • Writer's pictureKyle Persaud

Who Needs a Commercial Driver’s License in Oklahoma?

Updated: Aug 13, 2020

In Oklahoma, you need a CDL to operate certain types of vehicles. You will need a commercial driver’s license (sometimes called a chauffeur’s license) to legally operate a Class A, Class B, or Class C motor vehicle in Oklahoma.

Class A Motor Vehicle

A Class A Motor Vehicle is:

One vehicle towing one or more vehicles, if the vehicle or vehicles being towed weigh a total of more than 10,000 pounds, and the combined weight of all the vehicles is at least 26,001 pounds.

Class B Motor Vehicle

A Class B Motor Vehicle is:

Any single vehicle that weighs at least 26,001 pounds. This includes a vehicle that is towing another vehicle that weighs 10,000 pounds or less.

Class C Motor Vehicle

A Class C Motor Vehicle is:

Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that are not Class A or Class B, and

  • Is required, under federal law, to be placarded for hazardous materials,


  • Is designed to transport sixteen or more persons, including the driver.

To drive a Class A vehicle, you need a Class A CDL.

To drive a Class B vehicle, you need a Class A or B CDL.

To drive a Class C vehicle, you need a Class A, B, or C CDL.

An emergency vehicle, recreational vehicle, or farm vehicle is not a Class A, B, or C vehicle, regardless of how much it weighs.

To find out how to obtain a CDL, visit the CDL page of the website of the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

If you have issues in OK regarding your automobile or driver's license, contact an experienced motor vehicles attorney today.

In next week’s post, we will discuss when the State of Oklahoma can suspend your CDL.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page